Here’s how to make my favorite cookie-topped bao in less than an our.
Almost INSTANT Bolo Bao
Here's how you can have a taste of a Chinese bakery in less than an hour.
- 1/2 C. salted butter softened
- 1/2 C. sugar
- 1 C. all-purpose flour
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tsp. vanilla paste or vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. heavy cream
- 1 large Portuguese sweet bread or 8 small sweet rolls
- In a large bowl, mix the butter and sugar until well combined.
- Add egg yolks and vanilla paste.
- Sift in the flour, baking soda, and baking powder until it forms a soft dough.
- Press the dough out into a disc and wrap plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 20-30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350˚F/176˚C.
- Unwrapped the chilled dough. If making small buns, divided the dough into 8 equal pieces.
- Between 2 pieces of plastic wrap, roll each piece to ~1/4" in thickness or large enough that it covers the top of the bun. If making a large bao, skip dividing the dough and roll out large enough to cover.
- Using a sharp knife score a crosshatch pattern into the dough, being careful not to go all the way through.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and cream.
- Use a pastry brush to apply the egg wash to the dough.
- Bake at 350˚F/176˚C for 13-15 minutes or until the topping is golden and the bread is heated through.
- Server warm or at room temperature.
My recipes was adapted from smelly.lunchbox: https://www.instagram.com/smelly.lunchbox/.
Calories: 477kcalCarbohydrates: 61gProtein: 7gFat: 23gSaturated Fat: 13gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 163mgSodium: 264mgPotassium: 78mgFiber: 1gSugar: 24gVitamin A: 757IUVitamin C: 0.01mgCalcium: 43mgIron: 3mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
1 thought on “Giant Bolo Bao In Less Than An Hour”
love your videos. You always brighten my day.Thank you!