Wacky Depression Era Chocolate Cake
Not only are there no eggs and no dairy in this chocolate cake, making it vegan, but it's incredibly easy to make. You can mix the ingredients right in the pan and in 30 minutes you will have a delicious chocolate cake. Add a little frosting and voila! you've got a birthday or Valentine's Day cake. ❤️
- 1 square baking pan 8"x8"
- electric mixer for frosting
- 1½ C. all-purpose flour
- 4 tbsp. cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 C. granulated sugar
- 1½ tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar or white vinegar
- 5 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 C. cold coffee or water
- 3 tbsp. butter room temperature
- 3 tbsp. hot coffee or hot water
- 3 tbsp. cocoa powder
- pinch of salt
- 2 C. powdered sugar
- Preheat oven oven to 325˚F/ 163˚C.
- For easy cake removal, line the baking pan with parchment, or skip this step if serving the cake directly from the pan.
- In a bowl or in the pan itself, add dry ingredients and mix well.
- Add all wet ingredients to the dry and mix until well combined.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- In a large bowl, add the butter, hot coffee, cocoa powder, and salt. Use an electric mixer to cream ingredients together.
- Sift in powdered sugar in three batches, mixing in between additions until the frosting is thick and creamy.
- Apply frosting to the completely cooled cake.
This recipe was adapted from Happy Holligan’s: https://happyhooligans.ca/chocolate-depression-cake/.
Calories: 771kcalCarbohydrates: 174gProtein: 10gFat: 9gSaturated Fat: 5gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0.2gCholesterol: 16mgSodium: 367mgPotassium: 356mgFiber: 8gSugar: 117gVitamin A: 185IUCalcium: 83mgIron: 5mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!