If you’re looking for bite-sized potatoes that are thinly crunchy on the outside, but creamy with a mashed-potato-like interior, you’ve come to the right recipe!
The secret to getting the right texture is the addition of glutinous rice flour, also known as sweet white rice flour.
And to enhance the crispness of the final product, we’ll be adding a tablespoon of potato starch.
Now I have made bubble potatoes before — here — but that recipe created a true, self-inflating bubble utilizing a French cooking technique.
This recipe, inspired by @msshiandmrhe on TikTok, calls for first boiling your potatoes, then peeling and mashing them. After that, you just create your bubble pillow mixture out of which you’ll cut and shape your individual pillows.
Finally, you’ll want to deep-fry your pillows until they’re golden brown and glistening.
Your resulting bubble pillows should give you the feeling of tater tots on the outside and gnocchi on the inside. But when you bite into them, they will be something all their own.
TikTok Creamy Crispy Bubble Potatoes
- potato ricer (optional)
- medium heavy-bottomed saucepan
- 330 g. Russet potato medium-large sized
- 2 tbsp. glutinous rice flour
- 1 tbsp. potato or corn starch
- 1/2 tsp. Kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. paprika
- 3 C. peanut oil for frying
- Wash the potato and use a knife to score the skin of the potato around the mid-section.
- Place the potato into a saucepan filled with water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer for ~45 minutes.
- When a toothpick easily pierces the center of the potato, drain and place in a bowl of very cold water. Slide the skin off.
- Cut the potato into a few pieces and press through a potato ricer (or use a potato masher) into a medium bowl.
- Add the rice flour, starch, salt and pepper. Mix well and use clean hands to form the potato into a dough.
- Shape the dough into a 1" wide snake and cut into 1 1/2" sections.
- Press the tines of a fork into each section of potato to create a ridged pattern.
- Heat the peanut oil to 325˚F/163˚C.
- Gently drop a few potato pieces into the hot oil and fry 3-5 minutes. They shouldn't be golden at this point, just firmed up. Drain on a rack lined with paper towels.
- Increase the oil temperature to 350˚F/177˚C and fry again for 30-60 seconds or until golden. Drain on a rack lined with paper towels. Sprinkle with salt and paprika. Serve hot with ketchup.