These drumsticks are unbelievably vegetarian. They’re made from yuba or tofu skin that is marinaded and wrapped around a sugar cane stick to create the most drumstick experience. And when I saw Woon Heng’s recipe for it, I knew I had to give it a go.
Vegan Yuba Skin Drumsticks
- air fryer
- 10 yuba sheets fresh sheets work best and can be found in the frozen section
- 3 C. water
- 10 sticks fresh sugar cane cut into 1/2" x 5" lengths, substitute popsicle sticks
- 1 tsp vegetable oil for greasing the pan
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 tsp. vegetable bouillon
- 1/2 tbsp. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1/4 tsp. 5-spice powder
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3 tbsp. cornstarch
- 1/4 C. water
- 2 tbsp. corn starch
- 1 tbsp. water
- 1 tbsp. water
- 1½ tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 tsp. dark soy sauce
- 1 tsp. honey substitute use sugar to make it vegan
- Fold the yuba sheets in half and cut into 1 1/2" strips.
- Place the strips in a very large bowl and cover with 3 cup of water. Toss to coat and soak for 2 minutes. The strips with soften and become opaque in color.
- Take a handful of yuba strips and squeeze out the excess water. Transfer to a dry bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine all of the marinade ingredients. Pour over the yuba strips and toss to coat.
- In a small bowl mix the cornstarch and water into a paste.
Wrapping The Sugar Cane Sticks
- Use a spoon to spread a layer of cornstarch glue onto the sugar cane leaving 1½" uncoated.
- Begin wrapping the sugar cane with the marinaded yuba strips using some tension to create a tight layers. Overlap the strips and build the layers to form a drumstick shape leaving the uncoated portion of the sugar cane bare as a handle.
- Use a piece of plastic film to wrap the drumstick twisting the ends tightly. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to allow the yuba to firm up.
Cooking The Drumsticks
- In a small bowl combine all of the sauce ingredients and mix well.
- Unwrap the chilled drumsticks. Use a pastry brush and gently brush on a coating of sauce. Allow the sauce to soak in and after a few minutes repeat with another layer of sauce.
- Preheat air fryer to 325˚F(163˚C).
- Lightly the bottom of the air fryer before adding the drumsticks. Cook for 4 minutes before flipping and cooking for an additional 3-4 minutes or until the glaze is caramelized. For added shine brush with a little vegetable oil. Serve immediately.