I love street food from around the world. And if you’ve been watching my videos and reading my posts here, you know that I particularly love Korean street food.
Often the dish will be a Korean twist on a Western staple. A few months ago I tried a six-sided garlic bread sweetened with cream cheese that was absolutely delicious and gorgeous to boot. You can watch that video here.
Now this garlic bread not only includes cheese, but it is be pull-apart as well, so you could easily share it while walking down the street with friends.
The bread itself will be flat, but we will be creating a crisscross lattice pattern that we will fill with mozzarella cheese. Hello stretchiness! Hello cheese-pull!
To top it off, we’ll be slathering it in a beautiful, slightly sweetened garlic sauce. Yum!!
Now let’s get in the kitchen!
Korean Garlic Cheese Pull-Apart Bread
- 1 egg large
- 20 g. sugar
- 3 g. instant yeast
- 3 g. Kosher salt
- 200 g. bread flour
- 80 ml. whole milk warm ~100˚F
- 30 g. butter salted, room temperature
- 13 g. butter salted, room temperature
- 2 tsp. green onions finely minced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/4 tsp. white pepper
- 1 tsp. honey
- 1 tsp. mayonnaise
- 3 slices mozzerella cheese cut into 1/4" strips
- In a large bowl, whisk the egg. Reserve 1 tablespoon in a separate bowl.
- To the remaining egg, whisk in the sugar and yeast.
- Add the bread flour and salt.
- Add the warm milk.
- Stir with a wooden spoon until in it forms a shaggy dough.
- Turn the dough out on to the counter and knead 1 minute to form a ball.
- Cover the dough with a damp towel and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Knead for 5 minutes or until the surface of the dough is smooth.
- Press the dough out and add the butter. Pull the dough up and around the dough and knead until fully incorporated. It will initially look like a mess, but it will eventually get absorbed into the dough.
- Form the dough into a ball and place on a parchment lined baking pan.
- Cover with a damp cloth and allow to rise in a warm room or in a proofer set to 86˚F/30˚C 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- In a small bowl combine the reserved egg, butter, green onions, garlic, honey, and mayonnaise. Mix to combine.
Shaping the loaf
- Gently press out the gas from the risen dough to form an 8" circle
- Use a pastry cutter or a knife to deeply score 5 vertical lines spaced ~1" apart leaving a ~1" border unscored. Turn the dough a quarter turn and repeat creating a crosshatch of lines.
- Cover the scored dough with the garlic sauce.
- Press the mozzerella strips into the seams.
- Preheat oven to 338˚F/170˚C.
- Bake 15 minute or until golden. Serve warm.