I’ve been making this chocolate cake for years and years, first discovering it when I was vegan in college. And I still make it today because it’s that good!
It takes less than 10 minutes to mix-up the batter, and if you bake it in muffin tins, it only takes 20 minutes to bake, which means you have dessert ready in less than 45 minutes. Sold.
The Easiest Chocolate Cake
- 1½ C. all-purpose flour
- ⅓ C. cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. Kosher salt
- 1 C. granulated sugar
- 1/2 C. vegetable oil
- 1 C. cold coffee or water
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp. vinegar
- 1 C. chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375˚F/ 190˚C.
- In a large bowl, sift together dry ingredients.
- Separately mix wet ingredients EXCEPT vinegar. Add liquid to dry stir until smooth.
- Add vinegar and chocolate chips and mix to combine. Do not over mix, there will be streaks of vinegar.
- Spray a 9" round baking pan with cooking spray or line muffin tins with paper liners. Pour in the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Muffins will take ~20 minutes.
- Makes 1, 9″ cake or 18 cupcakes.
- Unless it’s a special occasion, I usually skip frosting this cake because the chocolate chips add just the right amount of extra sweetness.