Here’s how you can bring a taste of Downtown Disney home — the Pickle Corn Dog!
Disney Pickle Corn Dog
Here's how you can bring a taste of Downtown Disney home — the Pickle Corn Dog.
- apple corer
- thick skewers or popsicle sticks
- heavy-bottomed wide pot or deep fryer
- 3 C. all-purpose flour
- 2/3 C. granulated sugar
- 2 tsp. Kosher salt
- 3 tsp. baking powder
- 1/3 C. corn meal
- 3 eggs
- 1¼ C. milk
- 6 pickles whole
- 6 hot dogs
- 1½ C. panko bread crumbs
- 6-8 C. vegetable oil for frying
- 1/2 C. peanut butter 1 T. per serving
Preparing the pickle dog
- Choose 6 large and straight whole pickles. Dry them off with a paper towel.
- Use an apple corer and carefully core the pickles lenthwise.
- Insert a hot dog into the hollowed out pickle and cut off any excess.
- Remove the trimmed hot dog from the pickle. Insert a thick skewer or a popsicle stick through the hot dog leaving a couple inches for a handle.
- Re-insert the skewered hot dog into the pickle and secure with a toothpick if needed. Remind your tasters that there's a toothpick in there.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and cornmeal.
- In a small bowl lightly beat the eggs and add them to the milk.
- Slowly pour the milk/egg mixture into the dry mix and stir to form a batter.
- Spread the panko breadcrumbs onto a shallow rimmed pan.
- Take a pint glass or any tall wide-mouth jar. Transfer the batter into the glass filling it 3/4 full.
- Use a paper towel and dry off the pickle dog, this will allow the batter to stick better.
- Dip the pickle dog in the batter and slowly pull it out. Swirling at the end to catch any drips.
- Heat 3-4 inches of vegetable oil in a deep-fryer or dutch oven to 360˚F/ 182˚C.
- Roll the battered dog in the panko. Place gently into the preheated oil.
- Fry a few minutes on each side. Gently turning to ensure even browning. When golden remove and drain on a rack or a paper towel-lined plate.
- Serve warm with a side of smooth peanut butter.
Calories: 836kcalCarbohydrates: 139gProtein: 27gFat: 19gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 80mgSodium: 1765mgPotassium: 476mgFiber: 7gSugar: 27gVitamin A: 238IUVitamin C: 1mgCalcium: 290mgIron: 8mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!