Toum, or salsat toum, is a beautiful, white fluffy garlic sauce or dip common to Lebanon, Syria, and a few other neighboring countries.
Recipes and techniques vary from region to region, but I adapted Sohla El-Waylly’s recipe from Serious Eats, so my version will be Lebanese.
Using just four ingredients — garlic, oil, lemon juice, and salt — you’ll be able to whip this dish up in no time.
While it superficially resembles mayonnaise, it’s completely dairy-free. Packed with flavor from the copious amount of garlic, the first time we had it we couldn’t stop eating it, it was so delicious.
Not only is it tasty, but it’s also versatile. You can dip vegetables in it; you can have it on kebabs; you can have it as a spread; you can add a little bit on a salad as a topping; or you can thin it out and use it more like a dressing.
So get out your food processor and get ready to smash some garlic. It’s time to make toum!
Toum – Lebanese Whipped Garlic Sauce
- food processor
- 1 C. garlic about 3 large heads
- 3 C. neutral flavored oil sunflower, safflower or canola oil
- 2 tsp. Kosher salt
- 1/4 C. lemon juice 1-2 large lemons
- Place a head of garlic upside down (root side up) on the countertop and use the palms of both hands to crush and separate the cloves of garlic.
- Place the separated cloves into a heat-proof bowl and cover with boiling water for 1 minute. Drain the garlic and remove the peels.
- Place the peeled garlic into the bowl of a food processor along with 2 tablespoons of lemon juice and salt. Blend until finely chopped, periodically scraping down the sides of the bowl.
- With the food processor running, slowly drizzle a thin (1/8")stream of oil. It's crucial to add the oil in slowly or the toum will separate. Some food processors are equipped with an attachment that has a tiny hole just for this purpose. Stop periodically to scrap down the sides of the bowl.
- Once all the oil is incorporated the toum should have whipped consistency and a bright white color. Transfer the sauce to a clean quart-side container and store the refrigerator. It will keep for 4-6 weeks.