So many waffle and pancake recipes call for buttermilk and while I agree buttermilk does make for a tasty waffle, I never seem to have any around and in swoops this recipe to rescue. Simple, easy and the best part is that you probably already have all the ingredients in your pantry.
Simple Homemade Waffles
- waffle iron
- 1½ C. whole milk feel free to substitute the milk of your choice
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1½ C. all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 egg
- 5 tbsp. butter melted (You can also substitute vegetable oil.)
- Preheat your waffle iron.
- In a large bowl whisk together the milk, sugar, salt, egg, and melted butter until well combined.
- In separate bowl add the flour and baking powder. Use a whisk to combine.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir to form a batter. A few lumps are ok, do not overmix or you will get tough waffles.
- Pour the batter into your preheated iron and cook until golden.
- Serve warm with maple syrup.
- When the waffles are completely cooled place them in a freezer bag separated with sheets of parchment paper and rewarm in the toaster. Boom! Homemade Eggo waffles.