This is the best lemonade I’ve ever had.
The BEST Lemonade EVER
My family agrees. This is the best lemonade we've ever had.
- vegetable peeler
- large pitcher
- 6 lemons thoroughly washed
- 1-1¼ C. granulated sugar I prefer using 1 cup of sugar.
- 4 C. boiling water
- 1 C. ice plus extra to serve
- Thoroughly wash and dry the outsides of the lemons.
- Using a vegetable peeler, gently peel the zest of the lemons into a large bowl. Try to avoid the bitter white pith beneath the zest.
- Set the peeled lemons aside.
- Pour the sugar over the lemon peels. Stir well and cover and let the mixture rest at least 2 hours or overnight.
- The lemon and sugar mixture should look wet at this point. Pour 4 cups of boiling water over the sugar and lemon peel mixture. Stir to dissolve all of the sugar. Allow to cool to room temperature.
- Strain out the peels from the lemon syrup.
- To the warm syrup at 1 cup of ice.
- Squeeze the juice of all of the lemons (approximately 1 cup of juice) and add it to the now room temperature syrup.
- Chill the lemonade for a couple of hours and serve over plenty of ice.
This recipe is adapted from Chef John’s at Food Wishes. I have made this recipe several times now and prefer is with just 1 cup of sugar. It’s still plenty sweet, but less sugar allows the lemon to shine through.
Calories: 1332kcalCarbohydrates: 356gProtein: 7gFat: 2gSaturated Fat: 1gSodium: 75mgPotassium: 900mgFiber: 18gSugar: 311gVitamin A: 143IUVitamin C: 343mgCalcium: 207mgIron: 4mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!