I learned about this style of potato salad, which balances the familiar creaminess of potato salad with the pleasant crunch of veggies, when I lived in Japan, and I’ve never looked back.
Japanese-style Potato Salad
An easy creamy potato salad packed with veggies. The perfect side dish for summer.
- 4 medium potatoes a medium waxy potato like Yukon Gold or Natasha
- 1/2 tsp. Kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. instant dashi powder
- 1 cucumber small
- 1/2 small carrot finely shredded
- 2 ham or any sliced deli meat optional
- 1/4 C. cooked corn kernels optional
- 1/3 C. mayonnaise
- Wash and peel the potatoes. Quarter the potatoes and place them into a medium saucepan, cover with water. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until fork tender.
- Thinly slice the cucumber. Place the slices in a colander and sprinkle a couple pinches of salt. Allow to rest for 5-10 minutes. Place the salted cucumber slices into a paper towel. Squeeze out any excess water. Set aside.
- Drain the potatoes and place them into a large bowl. Use a potato masher or a fork and gently crush the potatoes a few times, leaving some larger chunks.
- Add salt, sugar, black pepper, and dashi powder. Stir to combine.
- Add the mayonnaise, drained cucumber slices, carrots, corn, and ham. Gently fold to combine.
- Serve warm or allow to cool before refrigerating and serve cold.
Calories: 6677kcalCarbohydrates: 24gProtein: 578gFat: 457gSaturated Fat: 161gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 1659mgSodium: 31961mgPotassium: 8216mgFiber: 3gSugar: 3gVitamin A: 923IUVitamin C: 25mgCalcium: 211mgIron: 24mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!