I’m hungry. It’s late and I’ve watched so many YouTube videos on Korean-style that I can’t stop thinking about it. So as it often goes, I’m making it so I can have a real idea of what it tastes like.
Korean Style Fried Chicken
A whole chicken deep-fried to perfection.
- dutch oven or deep fryer
- kitchen shears
- 1 Cornish game hen 1 1/2 pounds
- 1/2 tsp. Korean seasoning salt
- 1/4 tsp. Kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. white pepper Black pepper works too.
- 250 g. Korean frying powder mix
- 250 ml. cold water
- daikon radish pickles optional
- 6 C. vegetable oil for frying
- Using kitchen shears, cut the game hen in half on the breast side. Using the palms of your hands, flatten the bird pressing firmly to dislocate the hip joints. Use a sharp knife and make one 2" slice into the breast meat under the wing. This will allow it to cook more evenly.
- Pat the bird dry with paper towels. Sprinkle both sides with seasoning salt, salt and pepper. Place in the refrigerator until ready to fry.
- In a large bowl whisk together the frying powder mix and water until there are no lumps.
- In a large dutch oven or deep fryer heat a few inches of vegetable oil to 338˚F (170˚C). Leave a couple inches of head room to prevent the oil from bubbling over.
- Dip the seasoned bird into the batter, allowing the excess to drip off.
- With a pair of tongs slowly lower the bird into the oil. Hold it in the oil for a few seconds before letting it go. This allows the batter to harden a bit and helps keep it from sticking to the bottom.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove bits of fried batter. Fry for 12 minutes, carefully turning a few times during cooking.
- Drain the bird on to a rack. Bring the oil back up to 338˚F (170˚C).
- Return the game hen to the hot oil and fry for another 5 minutes. Occasionally, flip and turn while cooking to ensure even browning.
- Drain on a rack. Sprinkle with an additional shake of salt and pepper. Serve warm along with daikon radish pickles.
Calories: 724kcalCarbohydrates: 37gProtein: 48gFat: 41gSaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 316mgSodium: 1491mgPotassium: 780mgFiber: 3gVitamin A: 556IUVitamin C: 2mgCalcium: 299mgIron: 3mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!