Milk Bread Cube
Fluffy and rich milk bread baked in the shape of a perfect cube.
- 10 cm square Pullman loaf pan
- 25 g. bread flour
- 40 ml. whole milk hot
- 140 ml. whole milk lukewarm
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 2.5 g. instant yeast
- 240 g. bread flour
- 15 g. granulated sugar
- 2.5 g. Kosher salt
- 30 ml. whipping cream
- 15 g. butter unsalted, room temperature
- In a microwave-safe bowl combine the flour and hot milk. Stir well. Microwave for 10 seconds to form a very thick paste. Stir to soften.
- In a small bowl combine the lukewarm milk, honey, yeast. Stir to dissolve. Allow to rest 5 minutes.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, and salt.
- Tear the flour paste into small pieces and add to the dry mixture.
- Add the yeast mixture and whipping cream. Mix into a shaggy dough.
- Turn the dough out and knead (3-5 minutes) until the surface of the dough is smooth.
- Flatten the dough and add the butter. Fold the edges over the butter and knead to incorporate.
- Using cupped hands shape the dough into a ball with a tight skin.
- Place the dough into a lightly oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Place in a warm spot for 1 hour or until the dough doubles in volume.
- Invert the dough on to a countertop and gently de-gas pressing it into a disk. Divide into 2 equal pieces.
- Take one piece of dough and draw up the sides to form a parcel. Turn it over with the seam on the bottom and use cupped hands to shape it into a tight ball. Repeat with the remaining dough ball.
- Cover loosely with plastic wrap or a damp towel and allow the dough to rest for 15 minutes.
- While the dough is resting, use a pastry brush to butter the inside and lid of the loaf pan.
- Use a rolling pin to de-gas the dough and roll into a 8-9" oval. Fold the sides of the dough allowing the edges to meet in the center. Gently roll the dough out again until it's ~11"-12".
- Thin out the one of the short sides of the dough by pinching it out. At the opposite end, roll the dough up tightly. Pinch to seal.
- Place the rolled dough seam side down into the buttered pan. Use the back of your knuckles to gently press the dough down.
- Cover and allow to rise 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 370˚F/190˚C.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Unmold from pan and allow to cool before slicing.
Calories: 347kcalCarbohydrates: 57gProtein: 10gFat: 8gSaturated Fat: 5gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 23mgSodium: 293mgPotassium: 140mgFiber: 2gSugar: 9gVitamin A: 278IUVitamin C: 1mgCalcium: 67mgIron: 1mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!