When I first learned about this trick to wrap chicken in rice paper to make fried chicken, I knew I had to make it. This technique creates tidy chicken nuggets and eliminates the need for a wet messy batter. Let’s do this!
Crispy Fried Curry Chicken Bites
This recipe uses the genius technique of wrapping the chicken in rice paper rather than dipping it into a batter.
- 1 lb. chicken tenders cut into 1" pieces, chicken breast or thigh meat or tofu work well, too.
- 1 tsp. curry powder
- 1/8 tsp. unrefined sugar granulated sugar works too
- 1/2 tsp. Kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. seasoning salt optional, if omitting replace with more Kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1 pkg. rice paper sheets 12 oz. package, you will have extra
- 4-6 C. peanut oil for frying
- In a bowl combine the chicken, curry powder, sugar, salt, seasoning salt, and black pepper. Cover and store in the refrigerator for a few hours or use immediately.
- Use scissors to cut each rice paper sheet in half.
- Dip the rice paper into a pan of water making sure to get both sides wet. Place it onto a plate to rest for 2-3 minutes or until the sheet is completely soft stretchy and transparent.
- Place the rice sheet vertically on to a plate. Place a piece of chicken on the lower third of the sheet and fold the bottom edge over it. Fold the sides toward the middle and finish by rolling up the chicken completely surrounding it in rice paper.
- In a medium saucepan add 2" of peanut oil. Heat on medium heat to 350˚F/177˚C.
- Add the rolls to the preheated oil. Do not overcrowd the pan or the nuggets with stick together.
- Use tongs to gently nudge the rolls off the bottom of the pan. Fry for 3-5 minutes or until they reach an internal temp of 165˚F/74˚C. Drain on a plate lined with paper towels.
This recipe was inspired by On Meal A Day.
Calories: 135kcalCarbohydrates: 1gProtein: 24gFat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 73mgSodium: 490mgPotassium: 443mgFiber: 1gSugar: 1gVitamin A: 48IUVitamin C: 2mgCalcium: 13mgIron: 1mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
3 thoughts on “Crispy Rice Paper Fried Chicken”
Do you think I can air-fry the rice paper nuggets?
Can you hyperlink the seasoned salt you used? Thanks!
I just made this recipe and it’s so good! Something different and fun to make. Thanks for sharing. And thanks for always being so pleasant in your videos.