How to Cook An Egg In A Tomato
Here's how to cook an egg inside of a tomato.
- 3 tomatoes medium-sized
- 3 eggs
- 3 tbsp. green onions finely sliced
- 2 oz. mozzarella cheese divided into thirds
- 6 tbsp. sharp cheddar cheese finely grated
- vegetable oil for oiling the baking dish
- 1/4 tsp. Kosher salt divided into thirds
- black pepper
- Preheat oven to 390˚F/200˚C.
- Slice the top quarter of the tomato off. Reserve for later.
- Use a paring knife to loosen the interior of the tomato.
- Use a large spoon to scoop out the guts of the tomato.
- Oil a baking dish with a drizzle of oil.
- Place the caps of the tomatoes cut-side down in the oil dish. Stand the tomato cups on the lids.
- Place 1 tablespoon of green onions in each cup, followed with the mozzarella cheese.
- Crack an egg into each cup. Top with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Pile 2 tablespoons of shredded cheddar cheese on each egg.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes depending on how done you like your eggs. Serve warm.
For a punchier version try adding a tablespoon of pesto or substituting a more robust cheese for the mozzarella. This recipe was inspired by viele Rezepte’s recipe.
Calories: 266kcalCarbohydrates: 7gProtein: 18gFat: 18gSaturated Fat: 10gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 210mgSodium: 532mgPotassium: 436mgFiber: 2gSugar: 4gVitamin A: 1833IUVitamin C: 20mgCalcium: 356mgIron: 2mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!