This chocolate cupcake recipe contains almost a pound of cooked greens! I tested the recipe printed on the can of Glory’s mixed greens, here. I guess if you bake with enough chocolate, you can make almost anything taste good!
Not Just Chocolate Cupcakes
These cupcakes contain over a pound of cooked greens but taste of chocolatey goodness.
- hand mixer
- 14 oz. Glory mixed greens
- 1 C. applesauce
- 1/2 C. water
- 1 box chocolate cake mix 14.25 oz.
- 8 oz. cream cheese at room temperature
- 5 tbsp. butter at room temperature
- 4 C. powdered sugar
- 1/2 C. Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 350˚F(177C)
- Drain the greens into a colander. Rinse with fresh water and allow to drain.
- Into a blender add the greens, applesauce, and water. Puree until smooth.
- Pour the puree into a large bowl. Add the cake mix and eggs. Mix to combine.
- Line a muffin tin with paper liners. Fill the each cup 2/3 full. Use an ice cream scoop for even scooping.
- Bake for 16-18 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
- Add the room-temperature cream cheese and butter to a large bowl.
- Use a hand mixer to beat the mixture smooth.
- On low speed, slowly add the cocoa powder.
- On low speed, slowly add the powdered sugar. As the frosting thickens switch to a spatula to incorporate the last of the powdered sugar.
- Transfer the frosting to a piping bag fitted with a 1M tip. Generously pipe each cupcake with a rosette. Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve.
Whoops! I accidentally made this recipe with twice the amount of greens, no wonder they seemed very moist.
Calories: 305kcal | Carbohydrates: 58g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 17mg | Sodium: 210mg | Potassium: 205mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 47g | Vitamin A: 2123IU | Vitamin C: 10mg | Calcium: 76mg | Iron: 2mg